The 12 Most Underrated Players in “Tecmo Super Bowl”

tecmo-super-bowl.jpg

Back in the day, I played NES until my hands got sore.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid….you name it.  There wasn’t a title out there I wouldn’t play the shit out of.  My game collection was modest, but definitely diverse.  This all changed when Tecmo released “Tecmo Super Bowl,” a sequel to the popular football game “Tecmo Bowl.”  My game library dropped to one volume that glorious day…..

I will argue (even sober) that TSB is the greatest video game of all-time, for ANY system.  The replay value is through the fucking roof, and it was the first sports game that is enjoyable to play alone, for it tracked stats and had a season mode.  Late-night drunken TSB tournaments accounted for one of my more dubious report cards in college.

Anyone who has played the game knows certain players are studs, so I won’t waste your time too much re-hashing vomit you have already spewed.  In my humble opinion, the 12 best players (most recognized that is, in no particular order): Randall Cunningham, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Christian Okoye, Bo Jackson, Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith, Ronnie Lott, Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, and Andre Rison.  Although that particular dozen is in fact quite unstoppable, here are 12 that you may have overlooked.

tsb2.jpg

12. Bob Nelson, DT Packers

Alright….I obviously didn’t play as the Packers, so before you tell me to go fuck a block of  cheese and stock up on camo for the hunting season, hear me out.  Nelson’s attributes aren’t all that stunning, but for some reason, he is the game’s MASTER of the “up then under” sack technique.  That is when you move the NT up after the ball is snapped, then go back down diagonally to open a free lane.  8-Bit Jim Harbaugh was paralyzed numerous times because of this dickhead…….

11. Brad Muster-FB Bears, Craig “Ironhead” Heyward-FB Saints, Reggie Cobb-FB Buccaneers

I lump the three together because they share a common attribute that makes them great: a hitting power of 94.  Nothing was more irritating than watching Christian “The Nigerian Nightmare” Okoye plow through your defense, throwing guys aside like little rag dolls. Although the trio at #11 isn’t as fast, they surely can steamroll your buddies defense, sending him to a catatonic state of grace.

10. Rodney Holman, TE Bengals

Holman is one of the best tight ends in the game, but guys like Jay Novacek and Keith Jackson get all the pub.  Holman was sure-handed, and possesses a 69 in both rushing power, and hitting power.  He is a very deadly target when put in the right formations.

9. Willie “Flipper” Anderson, WR Rams

The Rams are known for Henry Ellard’s eye-popping 81 in receptions, which is tied for highest in the game with few others.  Flipper is a 75…… So when Dudley Dumbass double-teams Ellard because he has to, air it out to Flipper, who’s cousins with Snowflake.

8. Greg Townsend, DE Raiders

Since you obviously picked the Raiders for the sole purpose of rushing for 1,000 yards in one game with Bo, you will need quick defensive stops.  Townsend boasts an impressive 63 hitting power.  Match that with his 69 quickness, and you will be doing the “I just sacked you ass, how’s it feel bitch?” dance in between 99 yard touchdown scampers.

7. Billy Joe Tolliver, QB Chargers

He pretty much sucks, but isn’t completely as worthless as the name “Billy Joe.”  BJT’s throwing speed is a hand splitting 81.  Only Marino has comparable heat.  With viable WR Anthony Miller,  you will be in the end-zone, celebrating, then kicking the extra point before your stoned friend can even ask, “Dude, where’s the ball?”

6. Bobby Humphrey, RB Broncos

You don’t hear many people bragging that they scored 11 touchdowns in one game with Bobby Humphrey. That’s because they’ve never tried.  Running behind the Bronc’s above average offensive line, Humphrey can get loose quite easily with his 69 rushing power, and 63 maximum speed.

*Nothing drops panties in a bar quicker than:

YOU: “Hey Babe.  Did you know I once rushed for 857 yards and 11 touchdowns in one game with Bobby Humphrey on Tecmo Super Bowl?”

HER: “I WANT YOU!!!!!  Every other creep uses that line with Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders, like it’s some accomplishment………..Why don’t we go back to my place, and I’ll tell you about the time I recorded 17 sacks with Bill Pickel.”

5. Ken Harvey, LB Cardinals

Harvey is a solid linebacker that can make the stop you need.  This is good, since the rest of the Cardinals defense sucks more than the new “Indiana Jones.”  Key attributes: 63 quickness, 63 hitting power

4. Richard Dent, DE Bears

I know…..How could a Super Bowl MVP be underrated?  Here’s why: 99.9% of the time, people control Singletary when on defense.  On a side-note, I think it would have been great if the one personal touch to the 8-Bit players was Samurai wearing his infamous Lens-Crafters glasses.  Anyhoo, Dent is sick with the quickness (75), and can plow through linemen when needed.  I’m kind of an expert here because I personally sought retribution with Dent many times after Bob “Lardass” Nelson crippled 8-Bit Harbaugh.

3. David Fulcher, S Bengals

This guy is fucking unreal…..Let me say it again, FUCKING UNREAL.  75 in quickness and hitting power, 69 in maximum speed and interceptions.  He is an animal, and puts Ronnie Lott’s high attributes to shame.  Quite possibly the best all-around defender in the game.

2. Keith Millard, LB Vikings

Here we go again…….Before you tell me to put on purple panties and move north, I never play as the Vikings…..EVER.  This doesn’t relieve me of what I’m about to say though, which is as painful as it is shocking: THE VIKINGS HAVE THE BEST DEFENSE ON THE GAME.  PERIOD.   Between Chris Doleman, Joey Browner, and Keith Millard, 8-Bit Harbaugh will be shitting in a bag the rest of his days.  Millard is a stark-raving lunatic in that fucking game.  Hitting power 69, quickness 81, maximum speed 56.  He is easily a top 5 linebacker in the game, and, if you don’t believe me, ask 8-Bit Jim, who just regained feeling in his 8-Bit testicles.

1. Wayne Haddix, CB Buccaneers

Most people ask, “Who the fuck is Wayne Haddix?” Only the die-hards know about this guy.  Haddix is a one-man defense, and trust me, he has to be.  The rest of the “Yucks” defense runs around like little orange clowns, often over-pursuing, getting pushed aside, and ultimately getting burned for 6.  Haddix and Cobb are the only chance you have of making Tampa “Super Champions.”  He has blazing maximum speed (75), can pick off anything in the same area code, for interceptions are 75, and his quickness is a respectable 69.

So that’s my list……..Send comments on anyone you think I omitted

I DON’T EVEN HAVE A JOKE FOR THIS PICTURE…

tsb3.jpg

73 Comments

1. Comment by bama79rolltide on July 23, 2008 6:43 pm

LOL AT THE LIONS PHOTO!!

You forgot Donnell Woolford and Lemuel Stinson!!

2. Comment by Steelhead on July 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Stinson was an INT machine, but slow as shit, Woolford was regrettably much better in TSB than in real life, and Carrier was defintely the secondary stud for the Bears D. Best game ever…

3. Comment by cobra on November 6, 2008 9:17 am

The Bucs were the best on STB. Cobb and Danny Peebles were unstoppable and don’t forget winston moss on the D. Honorable mention: the nurses waving goodbye to Ivy Joe Hunter because he got hurt every week!

4. Comment by TSB Ballah Hollic on November 6, 2008 9:27 am

Eugene Lockhart. LB. Cowboys. You could kill every other QB in the league…and contain Cunningham and Moon with this guy. Also, an very under rated back..Ottis Anderson. Pretty sick when combined with Dave Meggett. Hello 2 1,500 yard backs.

5. Comment by J Dub on November 6, 2008 9:55 am

Where’s Gill Byrd? INT machine.

6. Comment by luke on November 6, 2008 10:04 am

agreed greatest game ever. however…
    tom rathman was the greatest fullback, by far.
    i had great successes with the nose tackles jerry ball of the lions and dan saleamua of the chiefs each to the tune of 12 sacks in a game.
    bill romanowski had a knack for blocking extra points.
    james lofton was an unstoppable receiver, caught the deep ball every time.
    john offerdahl was a beast for the dolphins.
    im sure theres more, but just off the top of my head.

7. Comment by J. Scroggins on November 6, 2008 10:07 am

Let me start by saying I completely agree with your label of “Best Video Game Of All-Time, Any System” to TSB.

This is off the top of my head, so I don’t have attribute numbers to back it up, but I know (speaking of the Lions) Mel Gray as a WR or RB (when Barry got inj.) was pretty good, as an underrated player. Cofer was good as a LB for the Lions. I always thought Percy Snow at MLB for KC was just as good as Derrick Thomas, and Reggie White deserves a place on the “Best Players” list, as does Charles Haley of SF. Darrell Green and Deion were the easiest members of the secondary to get sacks with, even ahead of Browner, Lott, and Fulcher.
    I always said I would go 19-0 and win the SB with every team on the game; I didn’t quite every accomplish that, but I probably did with 18-20 teams (including Browns, Bengals, Oilers, Chargers, Buccs, Jets, Vikings to name a few of the sorrier ones).

8. Comment by John on November 6, 2008 10:28 am

Fantastic article. My college roommates and I used to have the all-night TSB toureys all time time. As a Broncos fan, I am glad you threw out Humphrey. You’re right though. He was awesome in that game. I’d score TDs with that dude like it was my job!

Our RA used to come knocking on our door at 3am because we were yelling “tooooouuuucccchhhhhdooooooowwwwnnnnn” at the top of our lungs!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

9. Comment by Sticky on November 6, 2008 10:30 am

Add in ANY of the Houston WR’s. SPEED KILLS.

10. Comment by DaBears on November 6, 2008 10:40 am

Totally agree with Richard Dent, but you missed an even more underrated member of the Bears Defense…William “The Refrigerator” Perry. I used him with a variation of the Bob Nelson “up then under” technique. Memories a little fuzzy…it was either down than straight ahead or downward angle then straight ahead. Anyway, Perry was insanely quick off the ball that I’d often be completely untouched. I ended up with over 100 sacks one season, and I remember one game where the entire first half was 3-and-out’s with Perry making the play in the backfield. Completely ridiculous.

11. Comment by slixrx on November 6, 2008 10:55 am

Neal Anderson

12. Comment by Government Cheese on November 6, 2008 11:23 am

dan saleaumua and Jerry Ball were highly effective if used correctly. Tremendous speed. Also, none could be faster than Lomas Brown when returning a blocked field goal. Wow.

13. Comment by Matt on November 6, 2008 12:24 pm

Is the picture because of the lions or the fact that a player in front of the coach’s crotch is giving him reason to celebrate Detroit style

14. Comment by 9ersfan on November 6, 2008 12:24 pm

I love the call on Haddix #1. I wouldn’t say so much that he is under-rated, but I would say he is a definite unknown. You could cover a WR doing a curl on the top of the screen and as the ball is being chucked on a go route to the bottom of the screen Haddix would get there in time to break it up.

Another under-rated player is J.J. Birden of the Chiefs. That MFer dives for EVERYTHING and catches it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, try it sometime.

15. Comment by TJ on November 6, 2008 12:37 pm

JERRY BALL. If you play a dude who runs ANYTHING besides shotgun, it is lights-out for him. Ball takes out the QB before his hands leave the center’s crack.

16. Comment by BOG on November 6, 2008 12:48 pm

Ray Childress, Oilers Linebacker;

I thought the whole Vikings team was underrated–the defense had a lot of good players , Herschel Walker and Anthony Carter were good offensive weapons, and Wade Wilson was okay.

The Chargers were better than they seemed, but you had to put Ronnie Harmon in as a running back.

17. Comment by TECMoLarryCurly on November 6, 2008 2:27 pm

I still play TSB to this day and there is no better defensive lineman than my man Bruce Smith of the Bills. Some how some way, he can dive thru the offensive line upon the ball snap for an easy sack 3 out of 5 times, in some cases even on a shotgun play. Bruce gets my vote.

18. Comment by DocWhompers on November 6, 2008 3:25 pm

Tampa was the best team to use in head to head games against another player because Haddix always catches them off guard…after that its just wait until Reggie Cobb gets into excellent by dumping down to Gary Anderson and scrambling with the oddly speedy Testaverde.

The creamsicles will usually make the other player quit sometime around the 3rd quarter. Which, of course, was the exact opposite of real life.

19. Comment by JOe on November 6, 2008 3:35 pm

Hummina, hummina meiow meiow!

With no other game would i allow my precious finger bleed to. Yes, well said Mr. 4

20. Comment by Steelhead on November 6, 2008 3:46 pm

Great contributions guys. I always say that if they re-released the EXACT same game with updated rosters and teams, it would be the best selling game of all-time. Unfortunately, the douches at EA have bought up exclusive NFL rights.

21. Comment by Chris on November 6, 2008 3:59 pm

I agree 100% greatest Game Ever. What about Marion Butts for the Chargers he was an animal and also the other running back for the saints (I cant remember his name) was a great combo with Iron Head. Also with the Chiefs along with Okoye you had Barry Word and he would just run over people as well.

22. Comment by Brett on November 6, 2008 4:58 pm

Awesome post. I just really hate it when people refer to this game as super tecmo bowl, when in fact that’s not the name of it. It bugs the shit out of me. Thanks for listening. One other person posted it as STB. That’s not the name of the game damn it. It’s Tecmo Super Bowl!!!

23. Comment by Erick on November 6, 2008 5:28 pm

What about Hodge for the Saints on Special Teams. Incredible kick return man.

24. Comment by Matt on November 6, 2008 6:34 pm

Let’s not forget about Barry Foster. He was quick and difficult to tackle. Plus the Steelers defense was awesome!

25. Comment by Jason on November 6, 2008 8:58 pm

for anyone reading this, you have to go back and try playing as the Saints. Put Craig Heyward in as your kickoff return man. I probably averaged a good 25 kickoff return touchdowns a season using him.

26. Comment by cdjones19 on November 6, 2008 10:32 pm

I will never forget my own Tecmo Super Bowl Ultimate Challenge, trying one season to win the Super Bowl with the Cardinals, and being 11-0 by week 12, and going into a game against the dreaded Bills, that Vai Sikahema magically came running out of the hospital to that awesome “all better” music and back into the team, solving my special teams problems once and for all. I yelled and screamed like I was Super Champion with the Detroit Lions (who at least had Barry Sanders and the Red Gun offense, plus the aforementioned Jerry Ball. What do the Cardinals have but perpetual crappiness?). It was of course a sign, and I won 28-21 the game in the 4th quarter with oh shit a punt return by Sikahema. So for personal anecdotal reasons the vote has gotta go to Vai. (Bonus points to Mosi Tatupu, incidentally dad to Lofa Tatupu, and Zefross Moss for the Underrated Names Awards)

27. Comment by Chris M on November 7, 2008 1:19 am

All mentioned are great and right on,but I’ve noticed one glaring ommission…Ricky F#$*ing Proehl.Dude killed me every time.

28. Comment by Joe on November 7, 2008 6:56 am

The Saints return man was Gil Fenerty and he was awesome. Their other running back was Dalton Hilliard. For some reason when he is Excellent he has the speed and moves of Barry Sanders. I know all of this because I’m in the middle of a season with Saints. Other awesome, yet probably not underrated, players included: Tim Brown as a return man for the Raiders, Howie Long at DE could get a sack on every pass play, the same can be said for Jerome Brown (OLB) of the Eagles, Dennis Byrd (ILB) of the Jets, Leslie O’Neal (OLB) of the Chargers, and Ozzie Newsome (TE) of the Browns. But my favorite “Why is this guy so good?” player in TSB has to be Marion Butts (RB) of the Chargers. He could run through or around everybody. Seriously, why was he so good in that game?

29. Comment by ryan on November 7, 2008 10:45 am

He was a star, but not listed with the top 12… You could outscore any team on the game with Rod Woodson. Between kick returns, INTs, safeties, fumbles forces/recovered the man would break your best player in half, catch anything in the air, and not get tackled on his way to the end zone.

30. Comment by Matt on November 7, 2008 11:48 am

The Vikings were definitely the best all around defense. They had play makers at every level of the D (Line, Linebackers, Secondary). Their offense was underrated too, although not great. However, they were probably the easiest team to play against the computer, because their plays all went together, so you could easily anticipate the play before the snap, and absolutely shut it down. The only time they ever got any yardage at all was if I slipped and got blocked. There were a couple of other teams like that too. I think the Packers were one, and I don’t recall the other. No question that this is the greatest game in history! I’m starting to tear up, thinking about it. I miss it so much!

31. Pingback by Home Stretch: Links To Round Out The Work Day | YepYep on November 7, 2008 1:00 pm

[...] 12 Most Underrated Players In Tecmo Super Bowl.  [Four Horsemen Tattoo] [...]

32. Comment by Matt on November 7, 2008 4:04 pm

Ok, all this nostalgia really got to me, so I googled Tecmo Super Bowl, and found that a new release of Tecmo Bowl is due out in 2008. Most of the articles I found were from May 2007, so I don’t know how close the release is. Youtube has a video of a game between Bal and Was, where the graphics, plays, etc all look exactly the same as the old games, but I don’t know that this is authentic. Anyone have any idea where this game is?

33. Comment by Matt on November 7, 2008 4:10 pm

Actually, I found it. Apparently, the new game is called Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, and will be (or maybe has been) released for the Ninetendo DS. They will also release a version next year for the Wii

34. Comment by Steelhead on November 7, 2008 5:46 pm

Matt,
    Saw that myself. The new version will only feature a few teams by their city, and not have actual logos or players. Grrrrrrr. However, there are several leagues online that update the original TSB with “patches,” that contain current rosters and teams. They have even broadened it into a college version. Looks like the only worthwhile updates are coming from pirates.

35. Comment by Fifteener on November 7, 2008 6:26 pm

How in the hell could you forget Howie Long and his up and dive-over automatic sack? You nailed some good ones, I’m glad to hear someone else that found the pearl in Wayne Haddix. And, fuck Bo Jackson, I can stop his ass any day with Howie. Where are the props for the insane 49ers? Keep in mind that Jerry Rice is a god because John Taylor is like his Christchild. Teamed up with Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Brent Jones and Rice, Taylor is a forgotten mini-god. I can hardly count how many times I went 19-0 and owned the top five spots in the league yards per reception category with these beasts. No greater balanced Tecmo threat has ever existed. Peace.

36. Comment by Fifteener on November 7, 2008 6:29 pm

And… Jim Harbaugh is nothing without Glen Kozlowski and Billy Bob Thornton in the passing patterns – that’s a fact.

37. Comment by vin on November 30, 2008 7:33 am

the houston oilers run n shoot was the best group of receivers to air out on opponents with. there defense was underrated in my eye but to those that ay the vikings had the best defense i disagree. although they had an amazing defense i would say the best had the best defense in the game overall. but also other underrated players such as the dolphins pass attack with jensen as the te over edmunds to join clayton and duper as the wr trio. the rams had the best wr 1 2 punch duo. and fulcher is prehaps the most complete db in the game. i also say that browns wr brennan was underrated. when i played with him he would catch divers like he was rice or the oilers wrs.

38. Comment by vin on November 30, 2008 7:35 am

the bears had the best defense to correct my error

39. Comment by vin 2 on November 30, 2008 7:36 am

the bears defense was the best in the game to fix my error.

40. Comment by no, huh? on December 8, 2008 12:48 am

dude, what about the linebackers of the ’91 saints, the dome patrol? i used to pick vaughan johnson and get about 60 sacks a year with him. i’d run him right into the gap between the guard and center and destroy qbs. another underrated player from the saints was gil fenerty, the kick returner. i’d zig zag my way to about 5 or 6 kick return tds a year. i love that game.

41. Pingback by 12/20/08: The day steelhead comes clean | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on December 20, 2008 12:34 pm

[...] a friend.  Being a member of the “old guard,” that exclusively plays NES titles like Tecmo Super Bowl, there is a strong sense of skepticism that these new systems won’t compare favorably to [...]

42. Comment by David on January 5, 2009 1:43 pm

What about Richard Johnson of the Oilers?? He is a virtually unknown player but is one of the top five CB’s in the game. I really think they messed up and inverted his stats with Chris Dishman, because Dishman is worthless in this game and Johnson is great. With the Oilers’ unstoppable WR tandem of Ernest Givens, Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffries, and Curtis Duncan, Warren Moon at QB, and the defensive prowess of Johnson, they’re my pick for best team in Tecmo Super Bowl.

43. Pingback by A-Rod Tests Positive for Steroids, Proving He is No Walter Payton | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on February 9, 2009 9:25 pm

[...] Walter flowed on the football field with the grace and power of a gazelle/rhinocerous super creature.  This unstoppable rebel force refused to go out of bounds, and made every tackler on every play pay the ultimate price for taking him down.  During Payton’s 13 year career, he snapped defenders necks, broke their ribcages, and ripped out their windpipes an astounding 3,838 times.  Only “Ironhead” Heyward even comes close to this stat, severing a meager 17 linebacker fermoral arteries in New Orleans one glorious season, and that was in the fictional NES game Tecmo Super Bowl.  [...]

44. Pingback by College Football….Video Game Systems….Nuff Said | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on February 11, 2009 6:32 pm

[...]  Click here for the 12 most underrated players in Tecmo Super Bowl [...]

45. Comment by T-Force on February 12, 2009 9:04 am

I played one season w/ the Chargers, & used a backup RB named Joe Caravello as my kickoff returner. No joke, he was a beast! I think he had 8 returns for TDs for the season, or about one every other game (& I wasn’t that great breaking kickoffs). The guy wasn’t anything special as a RB, but he was the best returner I saw on the game… Weird!

46. Comment by anthony2315 on February 13, 2009 8:28 am

um….Walter Payton??? just wondering

47. Comment by JWILL1133 on February 14, 2009 3:01 am

looks like a few of you are talking about the SNES and Genesis TSB games. This article is about the NES version only.

anyways, Steelhead…I have the NES version with the 2000 rosters and the Rams with Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt are the best combo ever.

48. Comment by Steelhead on February 14, 2009 9:21 am

JWILL,
    I’ve always wanted to play a version of TSB with updated rosters. Before EA created a monopoly, and bought the rights to every major sport, I was secretly hoping for a TSB re-release that was the EXACT same game, just with current rosters.
    -SH

49. Comment by FrankHawes on February 14, 2009 5:16 pm

The Eggles are the best D in the game. Seth Joyner can block every kick and White, Golic, Simmons and every linebacker can sack the QB on any play or the RB in the backfield (the only exceptions being the 3 stud FBs originally listed). Andre Waters is the brightspot in the secondary – the other three are so-so. Additionally, with Randall running the ball you can control the ball and not score too quickly incase you don’t want to give your opponent another possession before the half. Missing from the underrated list is Lions WR Richard Johnson. He should be on the list for name alone (Dick Johnson), however, he catches EVERYTHING and then is quickly tackled. Which, again, can allow you to control the number of possessions you give your opponent before you break one off with barry or toss an Andre Ware/Rodney Peet to Robert Clark endzone-to-endzone TD.

50. Comment by Steelhead on February 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Frank,
    Great assessment of the Eagles. What really makes them unstoppable is Cunningham, er, “QB Eagles.” On passing plays (which you need to pick every time with them), you roll out and creep to the line with Randall, and if the defender bites, you throw it to the (now) open man. If he doesn’t rush, you take off. He is one of the most frustrating players to play against in the game.
    -SH

51. Comment by Reading for Comprehension on February 18, 2009 7:51 am

Walter Payton? Walter Payton? How in the world would Payton be considered underrated? Let’s try reading for comprehension.

52. Comment by Steelhead on February 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Not to mention, Payton isn’t even on TSB.
    -SH

53. Pingback by Dumpster Diving: NFL Overall #1 Busts (and the Crappy Merchandise for Them) | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on July 1, 2009 3:46 pm

[...] that had a few decent seasons, but never anything that would make him a resprectable player on Tecmo Super Bowl, and that is all we care about anyways.  Keep on rockin’ Wayne [...]

54. Pingback by Steaming Piles of Crap: Athlete Endorsed NES Games | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on July 21, 2009 8:32 am

[...] Click here for: The 12 most underrated players in Tecmo Super Bowl [...]

55. Pingback by Steaming Piles of Crap: Athlete Endorsed SNES Games | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on July 21, 2009 12:19 pm

[...] Click here for the 12 most underrated players in Tecmo Super Bowl [...]

56. Pingback by (Not So) Steaming Piles of Crap: Athlete Endorsed Sega Games | Four Horsemen Tattoo - Confessions of a Sports Fanatic on July 21, 2009 12:24 pm

[...] Click here for the 12 most underrated players in Tecmo Super Bowl [...]

57. Comment by Dave Campbell on July 23, 2009 8:55 am

How can you overlook Sam Graddy? The speed of a Bo Jackson/Sam Graddy backfield is unbelieveable. Defensively, Jerry Ball of the Lions is a one-man wrecking crew in the nose-tackle defense. Easy 100+ sack seasons. Yes, I said 100+ sack seasons.

58. Comment by Little Donkey on November 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Most overrated players in the game:

1) John Elway

2) Lorenzo White

3) Hershel Walker

4) Sammie Smith

5) William “Refrigerator” Perry

59. Comment by Empress(Quisha Livingston) on December 25, 2009 9:10 am

Jerry Ball will always be special to me,we go way back since SMU days.And I was not even old enough to know I spent most of my child hood in college,hell I should have gotten a free degree..lol…But no one could ever replace my guardian angels when I was just a child.Jerry,Kieth my uncle Andrew Livingston etc…JERRY BALL THE BEST N.T. IN THE NFL……He watched me grow at times when i didnt know,and i was watching him as he bone crushed dudes when he didnt know.Much love Bless…..Little Quia :)

60. Comment by joe moskwa on January 13, 2010 8:59 am

I have a fully restored NES with 2 copies of this great game, and I live in the Detroit area. I still play it every day with buddies. We’re looking for die hards in the area who want to stop by and play a season. Anyone?? Jmoskwa1@att.blackberry.net January 2010 as I’m posting this now.

61. Comment by Rob on March 6, 2010 8:16 am

Haddix = undoubtedly the best defender on the game. I must say, some other unsung heroes are:

Gil Fenerty, kick returner for the Saints – I once went through a season only scoring off of kickoffs with this guy. The only other kick returner that even comes close is Stone for Pittsburgh.

Mark Carrier, WR for the Bucs – Easily the team I’ve gone through the most seasons with

Agree with the Neal Anderson post above….

Marion Butts – rid the Chargers of their terrible plays and Butts can be a beast

Freddie Young – safety for the Cardinals- moves all over the field!

The entire Oilers receiving corps – these guys are amazing. They catch everything – very annoying to play against.

Great article…they need a tecmo game with current teams and players for old nintendo. I’d pay $200 for it.

62. Comment by DJ on July 1, 2010 11:36 am

i rushed for 3,000 yards with Barry Sanders. Richard Johnson made some beastly catches for me including the game winner over bills with no time left. for some reason eddie murray was a terrible kicker for the lions

63. Comment by Tailback King on August 24, 2010 6:02 pm

The best and most underrated player in tecmo history was Johnny Johnson. He was a great player stuck on a average team at best, (the Cardinals) in real life and on the game. There wasn’t anything he couldn’t do. Run, catch, return kicks, return punts, you name it. You don’t belive me, try him and the Cards sometime. I once rushed for over 4,000 yrds with him. He was the best back in the league in 1990. He made the Probowl. (p.s. When you use him, change his plays)

64. Comment by Eddie Apoc on December 20, 2010 11:36 pm

I rushed for 2000+ yards in a season with Dan Marino once. It was a nightmare that guy is the slowest ever. He got injured in week 15 and I just barely made it.

65. Comment by Brad on October 1, 2011 2:02 pm

I seriously have to agree that Howie Long is the greatest defensive player in the game. With him, I can personally stop every single TSB play except for two. First is the bottom sweep that isn’t the deep one — it cuts down directly on Howie’s position and he is eliminated at the snap of the ball. The only way I can defend that play is to run backwards first and then dive. Second is the QB sneek by Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon. Even this play I can stop with the “insta-dive” when Howie’s in EXCELLENT condition. There are so many other numerous plays that instantly are either sacked or cause a fumble that I cannot describe to you how amazing he is in this game. Theoretically, it’s really the position, because when I decide to play as other teams, that’s always the position I play, and once that player becomes GOOD or EXCELLENT, they too are unstopable.

66. Comment by hhmm on June 10, 2012 12:40 am

I don’t know what version of tecmo bowl we’re talking about. But the most under-rated player was Steve Largent.

He was a reiciever for the Seattle Seahawks. (the most under-rated tecmo bowl team, and the only one in pink uni’s)

He had a play like (i think it was) Dennis Gentry of the bears. He ran a little six yard “button-loop” route, that if Kreig threw the ball at just the right time, it could not be stopped. I’ve won Tecmo Bowl as the Seahawks with just that play on offense. If the ball was delivered right when Largent was about to loop, it was impossible to stop. Maybe a bug in the game, but it did me right..

Also, Fred Young was 100% field goal and extra point blacker like Lawerence Taylor was.

67. Comment by hhmm on June 10, 2012 12:50 am

Oh.. I almost forgot mark Bavaro of the giants….

This worked about 70% of the time. You needed to be on at the least the opponents 30 yard line. As long as the computer or the guy you’re playing didn’t select the same pass play, this would work.

After snapping the ball make Phil Simms run to the oppsosing end zone and scrable for about one minute. You need to hold off the defenders for about one solid minute. Then chuck a huge 70yrd bomb to Mark Bavaro. Boom! Six points almost every time.

Sam Mack for cleveland was good too. When you zig-zagged all defenders would fall down trying to leg tackle him.. I’d always get 70+ yard runs for Sam Mack. I could go to the game right before tecmo bowl. totally blowing teams out like 60-0 w/ the Browns. They’d always lose in the last to the tecmo bowl game, tho. No matter how hard I tried. I think was programmed into the game the clevelend couldn’t make it to a tecmo bowl

68. Comment by Brian on July 28, 2012 5:36 pm

David Fulcher was known by us as the answer. No one knew about this guy but in head to head match ups, the guy would pick anything off within a 50 yard radius. Just sick, and he could tackle too in case you needed to stop you buddies run game. I have also seen Jerry Rice (well known by the tecmo community) jump out of the screen to haul in a game winning catch in the last seconds in a head to head match up. My buddies and I have only seen this once so I dont know if it is common in close games head to head.

69. Comment by Brian on July 28, 2012 5:47 pm

I have also had 1008 yards in one game with Bo Jackson thanks to 6 picks given up by Jeff George

70. Comment by Trippe on June 4, 2013 9:43 pm

You’re crazy if you think Haddix is underrated. He’s the best defensive player on TSB. How can that be underrated?

71. Comment by Rod Munch on June 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Haddix had a great year prior to the game being made, I believe he had 7 INTs for 231 yards and 3 TDs — that’s an amazing series of numbers. He was of course a one hit wonder and if I remember correctly he was actually cut half way through the next season.

Testaverde has some good rushing numbers since the prior year he had a big rushing game towards the end of the season against the Vikings I believe, I was there. Vinny rushed for over 100 yards — I wonder they prorated the stats of something because he only had 280 yards for the entire season.

72. Comment by George on July 24, 2013 10:34 pm

By underrated, the dude simply means not noted as much. You always hear how great Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Bo Jackson, and Christian Okoye are, but you never hear these guys.

Bob Golic and Howie Long are my selection. You could rack up sacks with both of those guys. Most underrated part of the Raider team was the D-line.

73. Comment by Winston on November 14, 2013 9:20 am

Finally I found a person giving Tecmo Bobby Humphrey some credit. If you played with the Broncos then you also have to know that OLB Simon Fletcher is an underrated defender. Unfortunately for the Broncos, 1990 was the season after they ingested all that Whoop Ass from the 49ers in the Super Bowl. My beloved Broncos are forever frozen in a Hell of mediocrity in Tecmo Super Bowl. Didn’t stop me from winning the “Super Championship” with them though, which for a long time I thought would be the only way they would ever win one.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI